IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE NLC & PENSIONERS!
1. The Joint Action Front (JAF), rising from a Special Meeting of its Affiliates held on Sunday, March 17th 2013 welcomed the decision of the Central Working Committee of the Nigeria Labour Congress held on March 12th 2013 to hold a PROTEST MARCH on April 10th 2013 to the Presidency and State Government houses; to demand justice for pensioners being owed billions of arrears of pensions.
2. It should be recalled that JAF had a month ago demanded that Labour should revisit the issue of pension management, following the ridiculous sentence of 2 years imprisonment with an option of N750,000 fine given to a former director of the Police Pensions Board, John Yakubu Yusufu, after he pleaded guilty to charges of stealing N23.3 billion from pension fund.
3. Also, JAF noted in its previous statement that “governments at all levels in Nigeria, irrespective of the political parties, are entrenched in corrupt atrocities, hence our resolve to the struggle for SYSTEM CHANGE as the only way to rid Nigeria of this class of exploiters and looters, and putting in place a government of the working people and the poor that would be committed to using our collective wealth to better the lots of all Nigerians.
4. Therefore, the National leadership of JAF has commenced mobilisation and is hereby specifically requesting all its affiliates and members to join forces with the State Councils of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC) and National Union of Pensioners (NUP) in the mobilization of Nigerians for the APRIL 10TH MASS PROTEST.
5. Equally, JAF urges Nigerian traders, students, artisans, women, faith-based groups, professionals, the unemployed, etc to massively participate in the APRIL 10TH MASS PROTEST against the Pension Scam and unbridled Corruption in the country.
6. Towards this end, JAF will soonest, after due consultation with the NLC, TUC and NUP, hold a media conference to unfold the details of its Programme of Action in the April 10th MASS PROTEST.
FORWARD EVER, BACKWARD NEVER
DR. DIPO FASHINA COMRADE ABIODUN AREMU
JAF Chairperson JAF Secretary