Held January 18th and 19th 2014 @ Textile Labour House, Ogba-Lagos
JAF STANDS FOR SOCIALISM!
Elects New Exco at the 3rd Congress!!
1. The 3rd Joint Action Front (JAF) Congress held as scheduled on January 18th and 19th 2014 in Lagos- Nigeria.
2. The Congress was attended by JAF Affiliates and members across the country. Also in attendance were JAF’s fraternal guests from Trade Union Congress, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Women Commission, National Union of Textile, Garment and Tailoring Workers (NUTGTW), Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), College of Education Staff Union (COEASU), representatives of students and youth, The Muslim Congress of Nigeria (TMC), Pan Africanist organisations, Communist Party of Benin Republic (PCB), Labour Writers Association of Nigeria (LAWAN) and the media from the Electronics and Print.
3. The DAY ONE of the Congress started with an Opening ceremony presided over by the National Chairperson of JAF – Comrade Dr. Oladipo Fashina and Comrade Achike Chude - JAF Deputy Chairperson. They were joined by other fraternal guests such as Comrade Simeso Amachree - Deputy Secretary-General of TUC, ASUU President – Dr. Nasir F. Issa, Dr. Sule Kano – past President of ASUU, Brother Luqman Raheem (TMC), Comrade Affiong Affiong - a Pan-Africanist, Professor Maurice Fagnon (PCB), Comrade Avosetiyen Michael (COEASU AOCOED), Comrade Ismail Bello – Textile Union, Comrade Abikoye Princess (NLC Chairperson Women Commission, Lagos), to give remarks on the main theme of the 3rd JAF Congress – Alternative Political Agenda to Rebuilding Nigeria.
4. The SYMPOSIUM Session on DAY ONE had Dr. Oladipo Fashina as the Lead Speaker on the two sub-themes - The Global Capitalist Crisis and the Global Revolutionary Waves with Dr. Nasir F. Issa and Professor Alozie as Discussants; and National Confabs, Reform or Revolution?” with Comrades Segun Sango, Kazeem Akinrinde, Baba Aye (represented by Kunle Ajayi Wiseman) and Achike Chude as Discussants.
5. The DAY TWO was strictly for Business Session comprising only Accredited Affiliates and Observers from JAF Affiliates.
6. The Congress Declares for SOCIALISM as JAF’s Political Alternative to rebuilding Nigeria as opposed to the present capitalist system being in force in Nigeria.
7. The Congress agreed to work with Labour, students, other working class and oppressed groups in the pursuit of its goal of socialist transformation of Nigeria.
8. The Congress resolved to commence ANTI-PRIVATISATION campaign to rid Nigeria of all neo-liberal capitalist policies.
9. The Congress decided on the building of JAF structures all over the country and calls on Nigerians within and outside to take up membership (organisations and individuals) of JAF in the pursuit of its programme of actions.
ELECTION OF NEW EXECUTIVES
10. The Congress re-elected five members from the outgoing Exco and two new members. The elected are:
· Comrade Dr. Oladipo Fashina - National Chairperson
· Comrade Achike Chude - Deputy National Chairperson
· Comrade Abiodun Aremu - Secretary
· Comrade Rasheedat Adeshina - Assistant Secretary
· Comrade Ruth Suberu - Treasurer
· Comrade Peluola Adewale - Mobilisation Officer
· Comrade Bankole Solomon - Public Relations Officer
11. The 3rd JAF Congress came to a close with the inauguration of the new exco and the acceptance speech by the National Chairperson – Dr. Fashina stating that the new exco will commit themselves to the tasks set by the Congress and provide leadership based on principles.
Comrade Abiodun Aremu